Taking your vehicle abroad?

By Benchmark
Taking your vehicle abroad?
Rather than flying, perhaps you’re choosing a more eco-friendly option and travelling to the continent by car.


You’ll need to take a VE103 (Vehicle on Hire Certificate) with you, to show you’re allowed to drive your leased vehicle abroad. You can either contact your funder direct, or contact us here at Benchmark Leasing and we’ll make the arrangements for you.

The documents could take a week or two to arrive, so allow plenty of time before your journey starts.


Check your insurance. Contact your insurance company to make sure your policy covers foreign travel.  

European breakdown cover might be included with the VE103 paperwork you receive from your funder. If not, it may be worth arranging it yourself, to avoid the hassle of trying to find a local garage if you have any problems with your car. 

Get a GB sticker – it’s a legal requirement to display one when driving in the EU. You will also need a warning triangle and enough reflective jackets for all your fellow travellers. These must be stored in the body of the car, not in the boot, for easy access. 

Research specific requirements for the country you’re heading to. Did you know that in France, it’s a legal requirement to carry a breathalyser in your car? And in France and Spain, the legal alcohol limit is lower than in the UK, at 50mg per 100ml of blood. It’s even illegal to have a dirty car in certain countries, so do your homework! 

DID YOU KNOW? Since July 2019, diesel cars made earlier than 2006 have been banned from Paris.

British drivers heading to France are advised by the RAC that driving without a French 'clean air' sticker, called a Crit'Air vignette – which costs just over 3 Euros – makes them culpable for an on-the-spot fine. Check out the RAC's website for further information. 

Safe driving!